Murder Accused Told Gardaí He Would “Sort” Victim Out


A court heard today that a 25-year-old Latvian man on trial for murder told Gardaí that he would “sort” the victim out two hours before he was pronounced dead.

Rihards Lavickis of Annaly Court, Longford appeared in court today for the murder of Akadiusz Czajkowski (31) at Rue Noyal Chatillon, Townspark in Longford on November 1st, 2016.

Mr Lavickis admitted that he went looking for the deceased following on from an incident that occurred the night before at approximately 3:30 am, where a chair was thrown in the window of Mr.Lavickis’s home. The defendant told Garda Lynch that he suspected that Mr Czajkowski was to blame as he was “always after” him and “always wanted to fight” him. Mr Lavickis also told Garda Lynch that he would “sort it out”.

Evidence of CCTV footage showed the accused stabbing Mr Czajkowski around 11:30 in Longford shopping centre. Ian Donoghue, a Security Guard in the shopping centre gave evidence that the deceased was “stumbling in the corridor that leads to a disabled toilet”. Due to the smell of drink off him at the time, he believed that the deceased was drunk and was unaware that he had been stabbed. Mr Donoghue said that the victim was often in the shopping centre in an intoxicated state and that he became “aggressive if he was asked to leave”.

The victim’s wounds consisted of a stab wound between the chest and armpit as well as what is believed to be defence wounds to his hands, indicating a struggle. He was pronounced dead at 1:30 as a result of his injuries.

The accused was arrested at approximately 1pm the same day. Detective Damien McGovern said that when the defendant was asked if he had been involved in the incident he replied “with the big fellow” and admitted that he went looking for him that morning. Before being transported to the Garda station Defective McGovern asked for safety reasons if the accused had anything on him that he wasn’t supposed to have, to which he replied: “no the knife is upstairs”.

The defendant refused on two accounts to have a solicitor before finally requesting Mr Frank Gunty. He was detained under section 4 of the criminal justice act and had no reaction to the deceased passing away.